Saturday, October 29, 2011

How my Mom got Married.

                      How my Mom got Married


My mom  and dad met on Mother's Day at a local cafe in New York.  Their first conversation began over a chess game. . . and it continued on to another chess game, and then another. My mom doesn't remember who won, although my dad claims he was the winner each and every time.  That summer,  my dad proposed to my mom at Astoria Park by the Hudson River.  On November 5, 1997 (6 months after they met) they were married by a judge in a NYC court house.  On that day, they brought along two friends who thought my mom was just going to the court house to pay a parking fine (they didn't know they were coming to serve  as witnesses).  They were quite surprised when they finally realized what they were  there for!After thecourt wedding my dad gave my mom an engagement ring (kind of in reverse order), which he presented to her while she was brushing her teeth in the bathroom! A religious wedding was important to my dad and my mom's family so they arranged to have one that summer. My mom bought her dress in New York and flew to Cyprus with my dad where they were finally married by a priest.  My grandmother had made all of the arrangements, which included over 200 guests at the Hilton Hotel in Nicosia. Although 200 guests is considered a "small" wedding party in Cyprus, my mom still found it excessive (especially since she only knew about 10 of the 200 guests!)  My dad really liked it though. I guess my mom's marriage was a mix of non-traditional and traditional events. I would like to have a big wedding with yummy cake and abig party. When I look through the channels and find nothing I watch the wedding channel. I enjoy attending weddings because it is always the most special day of the bride and grooms life. I hope my marige will be succsesful like my moms.

No comments:

Post a Comment